The Art of Dealing with Rumors Course
A rumor is a piece of news that spreads without verification, and in the contemporary Arabic lexicon, a rumor is defined as a source of (false, unreliable, and uncertain news) that spreads among people.
Rumors usually spread when crises such as wars and epidemics occur. For example, the current spread of rumors about the Coronavirus and the spread of rumors often increases whenever the subject is of great importance to the life, safety, and health of society.
With the development of the means of communication, the means of information transmission have increased significantly and rapidly, which has facilitated the spread of rumors, so it is necessary to develop awareness to distinguish between true and common information and how to deal with rumors because their spread leads to destabilization in society or destabilization of confidence in a particular institution or product.
The general objective of the Art of Dealing with Rumors Course
The course aims to teach techniques for dealing with rumors to control them.
Detailed Objectives of The Art of Dealing with Rumors Course
• Identify the basic rules of correct information.
• How to classify information: true, false, rumor?
• Containing and controlling rumors
Topics of The Art of Dealing with Rumors Course
• What are rumors?
• types of rumors.
• Methods used in making rumors
• Rumors’ sources
• rumor characteristics
• The social consequences of spreading rumors
• How do promote rumors?
• How to refute and classify information.
• Ways to counter rumors
• Rebuilding confidence after recovering from the impact of rumors
Activities and Training Methods
• Training lecture
• Field experiments
• Panel Discussions
Outputs of The Course
• Developing an information sense to differentiate between right and wrong information
• ability to deal with rumors.
• Working against the clock
• writing a plan to counter rumors.